Terms and Conditions
The following terms and conditions are provided so that the Client and Well Read Proofreading Services have an upfront, open and honest understanding of what is involved in the process of working together. If you have any questions or concerns, please do get in touch so that clarity and reassurance may be provided.
- These terms and conditions apply to any work done for the Client by Well Read Proofreading Services.
- The Client is under no obligation to offer Well Read Proofreading Services work; neither is Well Read Proofreading Services under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- Well Read Proofreading Services will provide services that have been mutually agreed and confirmed in writing by the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by Well Read Proofreading Services, using their own equipment.
- The work will be carried out by Well Read Proofreading Services: no projects, or parts of projects, will be subcontracted to third parties.
- Well Read Proofreading Services is responsible for their own income tax and National Insurance contributions.
- Well Read Proofreading Services is not VAT registered.
- The contract of service requires that the Client and Well Read Proofreading Services both acknowledge, in writing, that we have read, understood and agree to these terms and conditions.
Prior to commencement of the proofreading work, the Client and Well Read Proofreading Services will agree, in writing, to the terms of the project:
- The medium in which the proofreading service will be carried out (eg in Word, on a PDF, or on paper),
- How the material will be annotated (eg Track Changes in Word, BSI correction symbols on paper),
- The length of time required to complete the project, as negotiated and agreed upon,
- A fee for the project, based on a quotation supplied by Well Read Proofreading Services, in writing, following evaluation of the material to be proofread, and the timeframe required to complete the job,
- In what medium the project will be delivered (eg via email, hardcopy by post),
- Any expenses (eg postage) that the Client will bear in addition to the costs of the proofreading,
- The date by which the material will be delivered by the Client to Well Read Proofreading Services,
- The latest date by which the completed project will be returned.
Please note that if, on receipt of the item to be worked on, or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, or from the sample supplied, Well Read Proofreading Services may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- A quotation for fees is supplied after an evaluation of the sample proof and a discussion with the Client regarding what is required.
- The Client will pay a fee per 1000 words or per hour, according to prior agreement.
- A minimum charge of £40.00 is in place to allow for administration costs.
- Once the Client and Well Read Proofreading Services have agreed the full fee, it is non-negotiable unless the Client extends the word count of the job or requests additional services. In this case, a revised quotation and job-completion date will be negotiated.
- Unless otherwise agreed, Well Read Proofreading Services will invoice the Client for half the fees prior to commencement of the job, with the second invoice following immediately upon completion of the proofreading project.
- If the project is lengthy, Well Read Proofreading Services may invoice periodically for completed stages.
- Well Read Proofreading Services agrees to attend the Client’s or other premises for necessary meetings, for which the time spent and agreed reasonable expenses that are incurred are to be reimbursed by the Client.
- The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
- Unless otherwise agreed at the outset, payment will be made within 14 days of receipt of Well Read Proofreading Services’ invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
- Cancellation during the project: In the unlikely event that the Client cancels the work during the proofreading project, Well Read Proofreading Services reserves the right to invoice for the work already completed.
- Cancellation prior to project commencement: In the unlikely case that the Client cancels the work prior to the proofreading commencing, but after making a firm booking with a scheduled timeslot and agreeing to the terms and conditions of service, Well Read Proofreading Services reserves the right to invoice for 20% of the project.
- Both the Client and Well Read Proofreading Services reserve the right to terminate a contract for services at any time if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- If unforeseen and extraordinary circumstances occur (such as bereavement), Well Read Proofreading Services will contact the Client in writing at the earliest opportunity, and work towards renegotiating the time frame for the project, or find an alternative supplier of proofreading services. An invoice will be sent to the Client only for services already completed if an alternative proofreader needs to be found.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without written permission.
- Well Read Proofreading Services will not, under any circumstances, upload the Client’s files to external websites, or distribute them to third parties unless specifically authorised to do so, in writing, by the Client.
- The information that the Client and Well Read Proofreading Services may keep on record is covered by the terms of the General Data Protection Regulation. No more such information will be held than is necessary, at any time, to comply with those terms. Both the Client and Well Read Proofreading Services agree that written consent is required to hold or process such data, such consent has been requested, and obtained, and both facts can be demonstrated. Either party may view the other’s records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
- All content delivered to Well Read Proofreading Services by the Client for the proofreading project is owned by the Client.
- Following payment of the invoice, any content amended by Well Read Proofreading Services as part of the proofreading process will become the copyright of the Client unless otherwise agreed.
Will it be Perfect?
If a piece of work were given to five different proofreaders, they would provide five slightly different completed works. This is because proofreading has an element of subjectivity in it. Because of this, I will never claim that the work I return to you will be perfect. However:
- I guarantee that I will do my absolute best for you, the Client, and that I will aim for the very highest proofreading standards.
- I guarantee that even if mine is the only professional proofread you commission, the amendments that I suggest will result in a significantly improved piece.
- I guarantee that I will respect your work, your privacy and your confidentiality.
- It would be unethical of me to promise perfection, but I will aim to improve your project in the best way I know how.
Authority to Commence for Clients who are Individuals, not Companies
- I, the Client, understand that under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, I have the right to cancel this contract within 14 days beginning on the date that the contract is entered into.
- I wish you to commence work on this contract before the expiry date of the 14 day cancellation period.
- I understand that if I subsequently cancel the contract within the cancellation period I will be under a duty to pay in accordance with reasonable requirements of the cancelled contract for work undertaken prior to the cancellation.
- If Well Read Proofreading Services’ work is unsatisfactory, it will be rectified in Well Read Proofreading Services’ own time and at their own expense.
- The Client bears sole responsibility for any plagiarism found in their material.
- Well Read Proofreading Services bears no liability for any damages incurred through any errors found in the material.
- If services provided have constituted a substantial contribution to the work, Well Read Proofreading Services will be entitled to receive one free copy of the work.
- Well Read Proofreading Services may use the Client’s name in promotional material.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both Well Read Proofreading Services and the Client agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.
- Well Read Proofreading Services will undertake to produce the best work possible for the client. However, the ultimate responsibility for accepting or rejecting the work rests with the client, and we can take no responsibility, and accept no liability for, damages or costs caused by any errors left in the document.
- All written work produced by Well Read Proofreading Services is subject to final approval by the client. Well Read Proofreading Services cannot be held responsible for the legality or validity of information that is produced on behalf of the client.
Code of Practice
Well Read Proofreading Services abides by the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading’s Code of Practice.
Last updated: 2nd March 2020